Department of Cooperation
The Post Graduate and Research Department of Cooperation is one of the pioneering Departments of the College and also in the state. It has the distinction of inheriting the legacy of the college of Rural Higher Education (Ministry of Education, Govt. of India) which had existed before Arts and Science College, teaching cooperation as a major subject since early 1960’s. The B.A. Cooperation in the year 1973-74, M.A. Cooperation in the year 1977-78 and M.Phil & Ph.D. Programmes were started in the year 1983-84. Further, B.A. Cooperation and M.A. Cooperation have been renamed as B.Com. (Cooperation) and M.Com. (Cooperative Management) affiliated by Bharathiar University Coimbatore since 2005-06 onwards. The Department has ten faculty members, they have highly experienced and specialised in various fields like, Cooperation, Banking, Marketing, Finance, HRM and related areas. The curriculum of the course has designed not only based for the cooperative sector but also for other economic sectors.
- Practical Training is a part and parcel of both UG and PG programmes. It is exempted from HDCM (Higher Diploma in Cooperative Management) conducted by the State, Department of Cooperation.
- 71Research articles have published in reputed National and International journals.
- The Department of Cooperation has been utilised for more than 13,000 books and also11 regular journals in the field of cooperation to facilitate and strengthen for the research programme in the department.
- The Department faculty members received research grants from UGC for Rs.7.87 lakhs.Research facilities encompassed with:
- SPSS – (Statistical packages for Social Science)
- TALLY – 9.0 version
- Computer Application in Business lab.
- 25 Ph.D’s and 40 M.Phil’s were awarded.
- Outstanding alumni served as the post of Registrar, Gandhigram Rural University, Two Joint Director of Collegiate Education and Six Principals position held in various Arts and Science colleges.
- Five Professors are working in the Department of Cooperation of various Universities in Ethiopia.
- Project experience at UG and PG level students.
- Organise Member Awareness Programme for cooperative Institutions.
- Organise Extension Activities and workshops for SHGs (Self-Help Group) members and the various levels of cooperative Institutions.
- Faculty members acted as experts of the panel of examiners in TNPSC examination.
- Providing real-life retail marketing experience.
Names of programmes offered
|S. No.||Programmes||Year of Establishment|
|1.||B.A Co-operation (Affiliated to University of Madras)||1973-74|
|2.||M.A Co-operation (Affiliated to University of Madras)||1977-78|
|3.||M.Phil and P.h.D., Research Programme
(Affiliated to Bharathiar University)
|4.||The Programme B.A. Coop., and M.A. Coop., have been renamed as B.Com. Coop., and M.Com., Cooperative Management (Affiliated to Bharathiar University)||2005-06|
Interdisciplinary courses in collaboration with other departments
|1.||Accounting and Business Management||Computer Science||Cooperation|
|2.||Principles of Accountancy||Mathematics||Cooperation|
|3.||Event Management and Social Marketing||Social work||Cooperation|
|4.||P.C. Software||Cooperation||Computer Science|
|5.||Mathematics – I and II||Cooperation||Mathematics|
|6.||NGO’s Management||Cooperation||Social work|